The first two items may be unusual to some: Pomegranate Acai Blueberry or Kiwi Passion Fruit Kefir. Sounds intriguing, doesn’t it? But what IS Kefir?
Fittingly for Tryst Cafe, the word “kefir” comes from the Arabic word for “joy” or “pleasure” and the Turkic word for “foam” or “froth” in milk. The kefir drink is a fermented milk beverage prepared by inoculating milk with kefir grains (pictured). Kefir grains are a combination of yeasts and bacteria in a matrix of sugars, lipids and proteins.
Originally made by shepherds of North Caucasus, milk (goat, sheep or cow) was hung in skin bags near a doorway. The bags were knocked by people passing through the doorway to mix the milk and kefir grains. Today, the common method of making kefir is to add kefir grains to milk in a loosely covered acid-proof container and mixed several times per day. The container is not filled completely, allowing room for expansion. It is either light-proof or stored in the dark to prevent inhibition of the culture and degradation of vitamins. After 24 hours of fermentation, the grains are removed.
Once fermented, kefir is naturally sour, so fruit is often mixed in to make a smoothie-type beverage. It’s a popular drink with every meal all over the world including Russia, Ukraine, Hungary, Norway, Finland, and Lithuania where it is known as a healthy, affordable beverage. The drink is becoming more popular in the United States too as people here are now discovering its health benefits.
Health benefits of kefir
Those shepherds had the right idea, as today’s research is showing that the drink has some pretty impressive health benefits.
Kefir has been credited for the following:
1. Contains a natural remedy against allergy
2. Acts as a natural antibiotic without side effects
3. Clears the body of heavy metals, salts, chemical antibiotics and alcoholic products
4. Fights off pathogenic microorganisms
5. Lowers level of LDL cholesterol
6. Cleans the gastrointestinal tract
7. Prevents and treats colon cancer
8. Improves digestion, body functions and immune system
9. Cures acne, Candida and hypertension
10. Stops growth of cancer cells
11. Speeds the healing process
12. Treats psoriasis, eczema, inflammatory diseases, heart disease, lung infections, the gum disease parodontosis, liver disease, kidney stones, gall bladder stones, gastritis, pancreatitis, ulcers
13. Reduces size of tumors
14. Reverses calcination of blood vessels
15. Boosts energy
16. Provides a natural “feel good”
17. Contain antioxidants, anti-aging and anti-stress properties
18. Nourishes hair
19. Replenishes body of good bacteria after antibiotics
20. Balances the microflora of the body’s digestive system
21. Regulates blood pressure
22. Lowers blood sugar, blood lipid levels or cholesterol and fatty acids
23. Improves the brains neuro-functions like reflexes, attention, memory retention and the senses
24. Reduces gas
25. Cures migraines and morning breath
26. Detoxifies the body
27. Aids in treating tuberculosis
28. Treats stomach cramps, chronic intestine infections, liver infections, asthma, bronchitis, sclerosis, anemia, hepatitis, rheumatism, stomach disorders, gout, colitis, arthritis, yeast infections, attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, depression, sleeping disorders, constipation, diarrhea
29. Prevents metastasis
We won’t guarantee a glass of our Pomegranate Acai Blueberry or Kiwi Passion Fruit Kefir will cure all that ails you, but we can guarantee you’ll enjoy this delicious beverage!